A journey of life


It goes on and on

Google

Friday, June 15, 2007

Water taxis and tides

How I travel by boat...

It is common for me to travel by a water taxi boat even though I don't live in Kampong Ayer. It takes just a few minutes (about 4 mins) drive to reach Kampong Sungai Kebun (or Kg. Sg. Kebun). Then from Kg. Sg. Kebun I take a boat to get to Tambing, BSB. This usually takes about 5 mins travelling time.

The pic below shows a place called "Ujung Jalan" (meaning "end of road") at Kg. Sungai Kebun, where water taxis are waiting. Just 50 cents to get to BSB.



Sometimes, travelling by boat is not as easy as it seems and it becomes the last thing on my mind. Here are top 3 reasons why I don't like to travel by boat:

1. When its raining
2. When its very hot
3. During low tide


How tides affect Kg. Ayer...

Today I went to BSB to register my new Easi line @ DST, Yayasan. The tide was quite high. It almost reached some of the houses' floors. But not the highest tide. I've seen higher tide than this. Btw, as you know, this is because of the position of the Moon.

For more info about tide, please read here.

I took the pic below during a low tide evening.


A few more things about low tides:

1. Its hard to get on/off the boat since its very low (due to slippery floors/ladders/stairs).
2. Have to travel using a longer path (see below: Yellow lines showing usual paths. Green line showing the longer path).


red dot - Kg. Sg. Kebun
blue dot - Tambing, BSB

No comments: